Welcome to RPA !!!
RPA stands for Robotic PROCESS Automation which is significantly helpful to improve the business. RPA is the prerequisite to implement the Artificial Intelligence. RPA can be achieved through the tools like UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blueprism and more.
What is the difference between the testing tools (Selenium, Appium, UFT, Worksoft certify and more) and the RPA tools ?
- It is not mandatory to have a programing skill to operate RPA tools
- Both the tools will automate API and GUI
- Testing (Automation) tools are meant to replace the QA resource where as the RPA tools are meant to be replace the end user (Users who are actually using the product built by developers. Ex: Customer care representatives) because it was proposed to automate the Business process not the QA
- There are no scope for Mobile related process automation in RPA as of now
- All the RPA tools are commercial (Tools like UiPath provides community edition for personal use) but there some open source tools available for QA automation
- A RPA tool is more convenient to automate all the types application when compares to the testing tools
UiPath is one of the RPA tool which provides community edition for the personal use.It offers automation support for all kind of applications like Web, Windows, SAP, excel, email, pdf, APIs and more
UiPath has three basic components,
1. UiPath Studio : This is an GUI designer tool where you can drag and drop activities to perform the action against the application. For example, mouse click is one of the activities. It shows the visual representation of step by step action
2. UiPath Robot : Robot will execute the workflow (group of activities) from the studio designer and it can run the activities in background. Robots will be connected to the orchestrator to get and set the data. It can be executed in offline.
3. UiPath Orchestrator : Orchestrator is a browser-based server application that enables the orchestration and management of robots from a single command. Orchestrator lets you manage the creation, monitoring, and deployment of resources in your environment, acting in the same as an integration point with third-party solutions and applications. It is similar to CI tools to schedule and execute the robots and it also have the capabilities to store the data (key value format)
Workflow is a collection of activities. There are three types of workflow models available in Uipath.
This is the basic workflow model in Uipath and it is the default model created by Uipath while recording. Every activities that present in this flow will be executed one by one and also we can implement the concepts like decision making(if), looping(for each). This flow is suitable for simple automation process. For example, filling the user details in registration form can be done by this workflow.
Flowchart workflow will give the visual representation of the actions and its useful for complex business automation. A flowchart can contain plethora of sequence workflows and activities. Similar to sequence flow, it supports decision and looping concepts. Here we can map the one activity with another activity in multiple ways.
Transnational Business Process:
This workflow is the best suite for the large scale project deployment. UiPath itself provides the standard framework called ‘Robotic Enterprise Framework’ to implement this workflow.It contains four parts such as Init – To setup the required application, Get transaction data – To retrieve the required data to use, Process Transaction – Process/executes the data against the application and finally End Process – Closes the all the applications and leave the system to the previous state. Each and every part can have both sequences and flowcharts.
- Record and playback option is available
- It supports the OCR(Reading text from an image) technology with open source (google OCR) and commercial OCRs.It is quite useful while automating the applications in virtual network like citrix
- UiPath condones us to inject js scripts and .net code since it is built on top of the Microsoft .net framework
- It enables us to create custom activity using Microsoft .net framework
- Robust file handling technique reads the data from .csv and .txt files i.e without having MS excel installed
- It has the features to connect with Database and mail protocols
Every tool has its own Drawbacks. So here comes few,
- UiPath supports only Windows machine
- No proper reporting features available
- Less/No scope for mobile related process
- No parallel execution on same machine
UiPath offers various learning webinars and documentations from beginner to advance level with free of cost. You can find those from https://academy.uipath.com/ and download Uipath application from https://www.uipath.com/community-edition-download. There is also an active forum is available to resolve our queries by official UiPath team and other experts.
Now you are all set to start the RPA journey…
I wanted to keep this article brief and I hope you can start learning RPA with the information provided.
Keep Learning and Thanks for Reading!!!!
Source – UiPath Academy, Personal automation experience and obviously, Google